Recall for Moms

Product Recall Information for Moms


U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission

Office of Information and Public Affairs Washington, DC 20207

September 12, 2008
Release #08-398

CPSC Recall Hotline: (800) 638-2772
CPSC Media Contact: (301) 504-7908

CPSC Issues Warning: Dangers at Home in the Aftermath of Hurricane Ike
Carbon Monoxide from Generators Can Kill in Minutes

WASHINGTON, D.C. - The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) warns consumers on the Gulf Coast to protect themselves and their families against dangers in the aftermath of Hurricane Ike.

Portable gasoline generators quickly produce high levels of poisonous carbon monoxide (CO) and should never be used indoors, including inside a home, basement, shed or garage, even if doors or windows are open. CO is an invisible killer. It's a colorless, odorless, poisonous gas. CO from a generator used indoors can kill you and your family in minutes.

"Heeding this warning can mean the difference between life and death," said CPSC Acting Chairman Nancy Nord. "Consumers should use portable generators outside only, far from windows, doors, and vents to their homes."

CPSC issued these additional safety tips for consumers in the aftermath of Hurricane Ike:

  • Read the label on the generator and the owner's manual, and follow the instructions.
  • Install CO alarms with battery backup in the home outside each sleeping area.
  • Get to fresh air immediately if you start to feel sick, weak or dizzy. CO poisoning from exposure to generator exhaust can quickly lead to incapacitation and death.
  • Never use charcoal indoors. Burning charcoal in an enclosed space can produce lethal levels of carbon monoxide.
  • Use caution when burning candles. Use flashlights instead. If you must use candles, do not burn them on or near anything that can catch fire. Never leave burning candles unattended. Extinguish candles when you leave the room.
  • Look for signs that your appliances have gotten wet. Discard electrical or gas appliances that have been wet because they pose electric shock and fire hazards.
  • Before using your appliances, have a professional or your gas or electric company evaluate your home and replace all gas control valves, electrical wiring, circuit breakers, and fuses that have been under water.
Recalls by Date