NEWS from CPSC
U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission
|Office of Information and Public Affairs
||Washington, DC 20207
August 14, 2007
Firm's Recall Hotline: (888) 597-6597
CPSC Recall Hotline: (800) 638-2772
CPSC Media Contact: (301) 504-7908
Mattel Recalls Batman© and One Piece© Magnetic Action Figure Sets Due To Magnets Coming Loose
WASHINGTON, D.C. - The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, in cooperation with the firm named below, today announced a voluntary recall of the following consumer product. Consumers should stop using recalled products immediately unless otherwise instructed.
Importer: Mattel Inc., of El Segundo, Calif.
Hazard: Small, powerful magnets inside the accessories of the toy figures can fall out and be swallowed or aspirated by young children. If more than one magnet is swallowed, they can attract inside the body and cause intestinal perforation, infection or blockage which can be fatal.
Incidents/Injuries: The firm is aware of 21 incidents where a magnet fell out of the toy figure, including a case of a 3-year-old boy who was found with a magnet in his mouth. The boy did not swallow the magnet and no injuries have been reported to Mattel and CPSC.
Description: The recalled Batman© toys include:
- The Batman© Magna Battle Armor© Batman© figure with model number J1944,
- The Batman© Magna Fight Wing© Batman© figure with model number J1946,
- The Batman© Secret ID© figure with model number J5114, and
- The Batman© Flying Fox© figure with model number J5115. The seven inch tall action figures include the Batman logo on the front and include magnetic accessories. The model number is located on the lower right corner of the tag which is sewn to the figure.
The recalled One Piece© toy is:
- One Piece© Triple Slash Zolo Roronoa© figure with model number J4142. The 5 ½ inch tall action figure has green hair, black pants, and has magnets in his hands which connect to magnets on various swords that the figure can hold. The model number is printed on the back of the action figure's left leg.
Sold at: Discount department stores and toy stores nationwide from June 2006 through June 2007 for about $11.
Manufactured in: China
Remedy: Consumers should immediately stop using the toy and contact Mattel for instructions on how to return it to receive a free replacement toy.
Consumer Contact: For additional information, contact Mattel toll-free (888) 597-6597 anytime or visit the firm's Web site at www.service.mattel.com