Recall for Moms

Product Recall Information for Moms


U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission

Office of Information and Public Affairs Washington, DC 20207

August 22, 2008
Release #08-370
CPSC Media Contact: (301) 504-7908

Safety Tips for Tropical Storm Victims
CPSC Warns of Dangers at Home in the Aftermath of Tropical Storm Fay

WASHINGTON, D.C. - The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) warns residents of Florida who have been pounded by heavy rains and power outages from Tropical Storm Fay to take special precautions.

Portable gas generators, often used by consumers to restore power to their homes and businesses in the aftermath of a storm, produce high levels of deadly carbon monoxide (CO). CPSC warns consumers that generators should be used outdoors only, far from doors, windows, and vents that could allow CO to come indoors.

"Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless poison gas. It is an invisible killer," said CPSC Acting Chairman Nancy Nord. "While generators can come in handy after a storm, using one indoors can kill you and your family in minutes."

A Porter Novelli "Healthstyles" surveys* of more than 10,000 adults found dangerous misconceptions about generator safety. The surveys found that most respondents (62 percent) believe it is safe to run a generator in a garage as long as the garage door is open. Many (47 percent) also believe it is safe to run a generator in a basement as long as a window is open. But both scenarios have caused deaths. CPSC records show that there were nearly 100 generator-related deaths due to CO poisoning in 2005.

Generator On-Product Label

The Commission provided these important life-saving tips:

  • If you start to feel sick, dizzy or weak while using a generator, get to fresh air right away. The CO from generators can readily lead to full incapacitation and death.

  • Keep generators dry and wait for the rain to pass before using a generator. Consumer-grade generators are not weatherproof and can pose the risk of electrocution and shock when used in wet conditions.

  • Do not connect the generator directly into your home's electrical system through a receptacle outlet - this is an extremely dangerous practice that poses a fire hazard and an electrocution hazard to utility workers and neighbors served by the same transformer.

  • If using a generator, plug individual appliances into heavy duty, outdoor-rated extension cords and plug cords into the generator.

  • Check that the extension cords have a wire gauge adequate for the appliance loads and have all three prongs, including a grounding pin.

  • Keep charcoal grills outside. Never use them indoors. Burning charcoal in an enclosed space can produce lethal levels of carbon monoxide poisoning.

  • Check to make sure your smoke alarms and carbon monoxide alarms have batteries and are working.

Avoid Electrical and Gas Hazards

  • Look for signs that your appliances have gotten wet. Discard electrical or gas appliances that have been wet because they pose electric shock and fire hazards.

  • Before using your appliances, have a professional or your gas or electric company evaluate your home and replace all gas control valves, circuit breakers, and fuses that have been under water.

Avoid Electrical and Gas Hazards

  • Young children and water don't mix. Watch children around buckets, tubs and standing water in and around the home. Even small amounts of water can be a drowning hazard.

*Porter Novelli's 2005 and 2006 HealthStyles mail survey was conducted among approximately 10,000 adults age 18 and older using Synovate's Consumer Opinion Panel. Analyses were conducted at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention under a licensing agreement with Porter Novelli.

Recalls by Date